- What are some examples of foreshadowing?
- Which sentence contains an example of foreshadowing apex Elsa?
- Which sentence is the best example of a simile?
- Which sentence is best example of personification?
- What is personification in English grammar?
- What is personification called?
- What is the difference between simile and personification?
- What are figures of speech with examples?
- How many types of figures of speech are there?
- What is figures of speech PDF?
- Is an oxymoron in a sentence?
Answer: The answer is B The pharmacy called to let Jack know that his prescription was ready to be picked up. Explanation: This sentence tells us that Jack would probably go to the Pharmacy to pick up the prescription. It foreshadows the event that will occur.
What are some examples of foreshadowing?
Here are some common examples of elements used as foreshadowing:
- Dialogue, such as “I have a bad feeling about this”
- Symbols, such as blood, certain colors, types of birds, weapons.
- Weather motifs, such as storm clouds, wind, rain, clearing skies.
- Omens, such as prophecies or broken mirror.
Which sentence contains an example of foreshadowing apex Elsa?
The sentence that contains an example of foreshadowing is: A. Elsa hears a report that the buses are running late as she rushes out the door to an important meeting. Explanation: The above sentence is an example of foreshadowing because it gives a hint that something will happen in the story.
Which sentence is the best example of a simile?
Following are some more examples of similes regularly used in writing:
- You were as brave as a lion.
- They fought like cats and dogs.
- He is as funny as a barrel of monkeys.
- This house is as clean as a whistle.
- He is as strong as an ox.
- Your explanation is as clear as mud.
- Watching the show was like watching grass grow.
Which sentence is best example of personification?
Common Personification Examples
- Lightning danced across the sky.
- The wind howled in the night.
- The car complained as the key was roughly turned in its ignition.
- Rita heard the last piece of pie calling her name.
- My alarm clock yells at me to get out of bed every morning.
What is personification in English grammar?
Personification is a figure of speech that attributes human nature and characteristics to something that is not human—whether living or nonliving.
What is personification called?
Personification, also known as “anthropomorphism,” is the attribution of human qualities to non-human things. These can be objects, events, ideas, or even living, non-human things.
What is the difference between simile and personification?
Both simile and personification mingle two very different essences, but personification does so with a specific methodology. In personification, one of the elements is a living thing or at least suggests a living thing, while the other clearly is not.
What are figures of speech with examples?
A figure of speech is a word or phrase that possesses a separate meaning from its literal definition. It can be a metaphor or simile, designed to make a comparison. It can be the repetition of alliteration or the exaggeration of hyperbole to provide a dramatic effect.
How many types of figures of speech are there?
In European languages, figures of speech are generally classified in five major categories: (1) figures of resemblance or relationship (e.g., simile, metaphor, kenning, conceit, parallelism, personification, metonymy, synecdoche, and euphemism); (2) figures of emphasis or understatement (e.g., hyperbole, litotes.
What is figures of speech PDF?
A figure of speech is a deviation from the ordinary use of words in order to increase their effectiveness. Basically, it is a figurative language that may consist of a single word or phrase. It may be a simile, a metaphor or personification to convey the meaning other than the literal meaning.
Is an oxymoron in a sentence?
Oxymoron sentence example The term married dating would seem to be an oxymoron , but a closer look at today’s topsy-turvy culture shows that just isn’t so. The term “fuel efficient SUV” sounds like an oxymoron . The phrase ‘mature male’ seemed like an oxymoron .